Welcome to Upper Wharfedale School. Our Students travel from an area of some 200 square miles and being such a small school, we pride ourselves on our inclusive nature, knowing each of those students individually. We are a popular, oversubscribed non-selective school within the selective system of the Craven area. The students are our priority and we demonstrate this by teaching them well and expecting the very best from them, whilst celebrating all their achievements – academic and otherwise. We exploit the skills and potential of our students, encouraging moral, social and economic awareness so that they can lead confident, healthy and responsible lives as individuals and members of society.
Our vision is based on a relentless focus on high quality teaching and learning, overcoming barriers so that each student achieves the best possible outcomes. We design our curriculum carefully to promote high aspirations and skills for lifelong learning and cultural capital within a safe yet challenging environment. According to our most recent Ofsted report (June 2019), leaders are “uncompromising in their ambition,” there is “an exceptional learning culture within the school” and “outcomes are truly outstanding in the widest sense.”
I hope our website will give you a flavour of life at Upper Wharfedale School (UWS) but for a closer look, please make an appointment to visit us and see for yourselves.
Andrew Taylor – Headteacher
Excellence for All
SUCCESSFUL, LIFELONG LEARNERS who enjoy learning, make good progress and achieve their full potential, regardless of ability, gender, social/economic background or ethnicity – “Excellence for All”
CONFIDENT INDIVIDUALS who are able to live safe, healthy and fulfilling lives, with confidence in their own abilities and how to use and apply them.
ACTIVE AND RESPONSIBLE CITIZENS who make a positive contribution to society. We value and respect all members of the school community and we demonstrate that every child really does matter by teaching them well and expecting the very best from them.
At Upper Wharfedale School we actively promote Fundamental British Values. These are incorporated into our vision and include:
- Student leadership team
- Visits to Parliament
- Student Surveys
- Student Voice
- Involvement in staff appointments
The rule of law
- Taught in PSHCE and other subjects where relevant
- Supporting Fair Trade
- Be aware of/monitor changes of behaviour which may indicate changes in beliefs
- Strong PA2L system
- Student leadership team
- Taught to support each other and stand up to discrimination
Mutual respect for and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs
- Ethos of the school – part of school life
- Respect for individual differences
- Modelling behaviour
- Setting standards and attitudes and behaviour in school
- Awareness and tolerance of communities which are different to their own, thus preparing for life in modern Britain
- Assemblies- both staff and student led
- PSHCE and RE lessons
- Challenging extremist attitudes
- Taught to stand up to discrimination and to understand this is protected by law
- Visits to different places of worship
We place great emphasis on building positive relationships in school and believe that these values should not just be taught but thoroughly embedded into school life.
We actively support our students to develop into active, responsible citizens who have empathy towards others.
- Students encouraged to give their views on issues
- Safeguarding procedures (including prevent training) for all staff
- Within particular subjects e.g. History, RE, PSHCE and Geography- promotion of tolerance of different views , democracy, parliament and immigration, extremist behaviour and equality and diversity
- Regular curriculum review
- All Students take RE GCSE (full or short course)
Visits from representatives from those of different faiths or none.